(I’m blatantly repackaging this from Joey)
Even if youâ€™re not a jazz musician or even a jazz fan, you might still get some mileage from the advice that legendary jazz pianist Thelonious Monk gave to jazz saxophonist Steve Lacy. Lacy took down some notes…. Joey has pictures of the notes, but he typed them out. I know what my click-through rates are, so I’m reproducing his reproduction here.
- Just because youâ€™re not a drummer, doesnâ€™t mean you donâ€™t have to keep time.
- Pat your foot and sing the melody in your head, when you play.
- Stop playing all those weird notes (that bullshit), play the melody!
- Make the drummer sound good.
- Discrimination is important.
- Youâ€™ve got to dig it to dig it, you dig?
- ALL REET!
- Always knowâ€¦.(MONK)
- It must be always night, otherwise they wouldnâ€™t need the lights.
- Letâ€™s lift the band stand!!
- I want to avoid the hecklers.
- Donâ€™t play the piano part, Iâ€™m playing that. Donâ€™t listen to me. Iâ€™m supposed to be accompanying you!
- The inside of the tune (the bridge) is the part that makes the outside sound good.
- Donâ€™t play everything (or every time); let some things go by. Some music just imagined. What you donâ€™t play can be more important that what you do.
- A note can be small as a pin or as big as the world, it depends on your imagination.
- Stay in shape! Sometimes a musician waits for a gig, and when it comes, heâ€™s out of shape and canâ€™t make it.
- When youâ€™re swinging, swing some more.
- (What should we wear tonight? Sharp as possible!)
- Always leave them wanting more.
- Donâ€™t sound anybody for a gig, just be on the scene. These pieces were written so as to have something to play and get cats interested enough to come to rehearsal.
- Youâ€™ve got it! If you donâ€™t want to play, tell a joke or dance, but in any case, you got it! (To a drummer who didnâ€™t want to solo)
- Whatever you think canâ€™t be done, somebody will come along and do it. A genius is the one most like himself.
- They tried to get me to hate white people, but someone would always come along and spoil it.
Sure, some are kinda a stretch to apply to testing, but the spirit of most of them do pretty easily.